I’ve spent over 20 years struggling with the Swedish language. Grammar is always a challenge for me – but it is pronunciation that still continues to drag me down.
That said, there are a few Swedish words that I just love to say. They have to be the most fun words in the Swedish language. Here, in no particular order, are my top 10.
- Mumsfilibaba – a hysterically satisfying way to say that something is really delicious
- Sjuksköterska – the Swedish word for nurse – try saying it after a couple of beers – it’s really fun
- Kackerlacka – the Swedish word for cockroach is somewhat onomatopoeic – the perfect way to describe these disgusting little bugs
- Sura uppstötningar – horrible to experience acid reflux but really fun to say the word
- Smidig – a useful word that’s fun to say and that means everything from easy and adaptable to flexible and pliable and even loose-limbed.
- Yxskaft – the handle of an axe – ok not a word that you say very often, but enromously satisfying when you get the chance
- Grönsaksbuljongtärning – a long word for a vegetable stock cube. Sometimes I go inte a supermarket and ask a shop assistant where to find them just so I get a chance to say it.
- Toppen – an uplifting way to say that all is good
- Hjärnsläpp – the Swedish word for drawing a blank. But it doesn’t matter if you can’t remember what you were going to say – because then you get to say ‘hjärnsläpp’ instead.
- Bajskorv – childish I know, but the Swedish word for ‘poo sausage’ is just hysterical.
Other Swedish words I love are ‘ångestframkallande‘, ‘slickepott’, ‘snöslask’, ‘oroväckande‘, ‘knäckebröd‘, ‘mångata’ and ‘underrättelsetjänsten‘.
What are some of your most satisfying Swedish Words to pronounce?
Let me know in the comments below….