In a restaurant in Stockholm last night, I happened to use the word ‘klutt’ to describe a small dollop of food. My dinner companions did a double take and asked me to repeat what I said. ‘En klutt’ I said. They looked at each other and burst into laughter. You see, a ‘klutt’ does describe a small dollop. But not food. It’s a small dollop of poo. Sometimes, speaking a foreign language just ends up going so wrong!
This led to a conversation on the different Swedish words for poo. I made a mental note of them, so I could share them with you. I also googled some other words. Here they are. Enjoy!
- Bajs – poo
- Bajskorv – poo sausage (a turd)
- Klutt – a small dollop of poo
- Skit – shit
- Blaffa – a huge mound of poo
- Lort – piece of poo, sometimes dried out
- Avföring – defecation
- Exkrement – excrement
- Mocka – big pile of poo, often from cattle
- Rövgröt – poo with the consistency of porridge
- Lös avföring – diarrhea
- Racerbajs – diarrhea that requires running to the toilet
- Sprutlack – explosive poo that covers a large surface
Any other words I’m missing that just have to be on this list?