The new words that arrive in a language reflect the main topics of the time. Thanks to the environmental issues that have taken precedence over the years, a bevy of new words has entered the Swedish language. Here are 10 of the newest Swedish environment words:
- Klimatångest – ‘climate anxiety’ – a sense of worry about the state of the climate and the environment
- Klimataktivist – ‘climate activist’ – someone who campaigns and fights for environmental issues
- Flygskam – ‘flight shame’ – the sense of shame that comes when travelling in a plane
- Klimatsmart – ‘climate clever’ – living in a way that is beneficial to the environment and climate
- Klimatkompensera – ‘to climate compensate’ – the extra fee you can pay when booking a flight that goes to research and development of more ‘climate clever’ solutions
- Plogga – to jog and pick up trash at the same time (combination of the Swedish words ‘jogga’ and ‘plocka’ which means pick)
- Klimatkollaps – ‘climate collapse’
- Plastbanta – ‘to plastic diet’ – the process of cutting down or removing plastic products from your home
- Klimatskuld – ‘climate debt’ – the debt that developed countries have to Mother Earth due to the overconsumption of natural resources
- Klimatavtryck – carbon footprint – the impact each and everyone of us has on the climate and environment
Do you know any other words that should be on this list?
If you’d like to check your carbon footprint, go to http://www.klimatkontot.se where you can answer some questions and see the result. The test is in Swedish and English.
Please share this post in your channels.