Sitting with some friends yesterday, we discussed why the Swedish word ’korkad’ (corked) means stupid. After much research, we couldn’t find an answer but we guessed it had something to do with the fact that cork is empty, light and flighty. Another thought was once you have uncorked a bottle and drunk it, it is an empty vessel.
We might not have found the origin of the word ‘korkad’ but we did find lots of expressions in Swedish to call somebody stupid. Here are 15 of them!
1) Bakom flötet – behind the float (fishing)
2) Tjockskallig – thick skulled
3) Tappad bakom en vagn – dropped behind a carriage
4) Tappad i backen – dropped on the ground
5) Ut och cyklar – out cycling
6) Dum i huvudet – stupid in the head
7) Fårskalle – sheep skull
8) Obegåvad – ungifted
9) Har inte alla hästar i stallet/hemma – doesn’t have all his/her horses in the stable / at home
10) Inte den vassaste kniven i lådan – not the sharpest knife in the drawer
11) Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död – the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead
12) Född i farstun – born in the porch
13) Har inte alla kottar i granen – doesn’t have all the cones on his/her fir tree
14) Jubelidiot – celebrated idiot
15) Hissen går inte hela vägen upp – the lift doesn’t go all the way to the top floor
Then there are lots of words like ‘korkad’ that are fun to say and all mean stupid. For example, ’trög, bombad, knasig, knäpp, puckad, pantad, pundig, beng, bläng, boll, ding, fläng, prillig, stollig, svagsint, rubbad, koko, blåst’.
Who knew there were so many ways to call somebody stupid in Swedish? I tend to just say ‘dum’ but I’m now going to practice a few more of these words and expressions.
One thought on “Stupid Swedes”
In Sardinia, they say:”turato” in order to describe a “korkad”human being… And the meaning is the same. “Turare” in Italian is synonymous for the verb” chiudere” to close. So maybe the idea that the air can not go in and out is common btw so diverse population when it the want to describe someone stupid, dum 🤗 All the best, Riccardo &Giordana
Il Dom 9 Mag 2021, 07:23 Watching the Swedes ha scritto:
> Neil Shipley’s watching the Swedes posted: ” Sitting with some friends > yesterday, we discussed why the Swedish word ’korkad’ (corked) means > stupid. After much research, we couldn’t find an answer but we guessed it > had something to do with the fact that cork is empty, light and flighty. > Another ” >