So, yesterday Sweden and England both qualified for the quarter finals in the football World Cup. Now they will meet each other and only one of them can go on to the semis. I’m not much of a football fan, but I do feel that I’m caught in a dilemma. Who do I support – the birth country that raised me or my adopted home country? I am a citizen of both, so that’s not an argument to fall back on.
5 reasons why I should support Sweden:
- There’s an election this year, and a lot of people are feeling negative, so a win for Sweden is a positive boost for the whole country
- Zlatan’s not playing so this shows the arrogant SOB that the team is good without him
- Sweden hasn’t got to the quarters since 1994, if I am correctly informed. So it’s about time. Also, they’ve never won the whole shebang
- Sweden has semlor cream buns, Jansson’s temptation, mmmmarabou, fried Baltic herring, princesstårta, västerbotten cheese pie and Småland cheesecake
- It’s good to show the world Sweden’s good at something else other than winning Eurovision
5 reasons why I should support England
- England invented football. Kind of. Or at least were the first to officially organize it into clubs in the 1800’s.
- With Brexit approaching, it’s good for England to beat the world
- England haven’t won the World Cup since 1966, so it’s well overdue
- England has Branston pickle, trifle, crumpets, fried breakfasts, PG Tips, sticky toffee pudding and cream eggs.
- England show they’re good at something and not just at making bad choices (Theresa May, Boris Johnson, UKIP etc)
So what a dilemma! Who should I back?
Any thoughts from you would be most helpful. Give me some reasons to support Team Sweden or Team England! You have until Saturday!