A friend today asked me to translate a Swedish word for him – ‘tippetopp’.

Not being familiar with the word, I researched it and found that it is an old-fashioned toy that you spin and then it rolls over to spin on its topside. It flips over. Goes all kind of topsy-turvy. Never having seen one of these before, my initial thought was to call it a ‘spinning top’ which is a similar toy we have in the UK. But then I researched further and found it’s proper translation.

The English word for ‘tippetopp’ is ‘tippe top’.

Yes, sometimes it is that easy!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s